Monday, August 10, 2009

Blindness

This will be a more serious rambling type post.

The other day, Tim and I were driving down the road - and I saw (not really) a person riding down the highway in a wheelchair. We finally got close enough that I realized it was a man on a 3 wheel trike pulling a cart. What a big difference.

That got me thinking about what I see. Being nearly blind - I see just over 1 inch without my glasses, everything after that melts into colors or nothing, depending on how much light is in the room. With my glasses, I struggle to see anything closer than 2 feet (but no amount of adjusting helps me read in anything other than bright light) or further than 10 feet. Not much hope of ever seeing 20/20 ever again. ..... But I realized how much I rely on mental pictures to decide what I'm seeing - I'm guessing most of the time. I saw a wheelchair because that was the mental picture I had - I've seen more of them.

But being a meloncholy philisophical type person. I kept thinking about it.

In the Bible, it talks about how we don't see things like God sees them. He talks about our vision being blinded or clouded.

Joh 12:40 "He has blinded their eyes and hardened their heart, so that they should not see with their eyes nor understand with their heart, and be converted, and I should heal them."

2Co 4:4 in whom the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelieving ones, so that the light of the glorious gospel of Christ (who is the image of God) should not dawn on them.

1Co 13:12 For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall fully know even as I also am fully known.

There are many verses and passages like those.

And I wonder if we see life like that - fuzzy and dark - not understanding what God sees for us. God, who sees perfectly, into the past, present, and future - would understand and see more perfectly than we do.

Just like I thought I saw a wheelchair instead of a bicycle, because of the range of experience of my life and vision. Does our short life limit us in what we see? Do we think we see evil and misery, when God sees more and the positive results of what we are going through?

Walking around, I think I see pretty good. But if I talk to anybody, I soon realize I'm not seeing much. The other day I was looking for Joel in the yard - couldn't find him anywhere, so I started to call him. He was laying in the dirt about 25 feet away, but because he was wearing tan shorts and a yellow shirt and not moving much, he blended in with the background and I couldn't see him at all until he jumped up when I called him.

How much do we miss that God sees? How much supernatural just blends in because we don't know what we are looking at or looking for? How much do we think we see that is all wrong?

Just thoughts going through my sleep deprived mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...