Friday, July 3, 2009

Agave: A Triumph of Marketing over Truth

Agave: A Triumph of Marketing over Truth: "Agave: A Triumph of Marketing over Truth


By Dr. Mercola
The popularity of agave syrup, also called agave nectar, is on a meteoric rise -- thanks in large part to clever marketing which positions the product as a healthy alternative to sugar and artificial sweeteners.
Agave is also heavily promoted as a low glycemic food, enticing diabetics.
I’ll discuss just how “healthy” agave is in a minute."



------------- an alternate viewpoint, I'm just making it available - click on the title for the full article. ... sometimes the comments at the end of the article by those who have read it and done other research can be quite informative too - not everyone has the same opinions.


I've been off sugar products (mostly, not completely, I rather like deserts) for close to 5 1/2 years now - I know when I tried the agave, it did give me a whopper of a sugar high - so I've not tried it again. Tim likes it, but then he eats way more sugar products (mostly sodas) than I do ever. Even a banana has enough sugar to make me feel a bit ill.

I've long been a believer in not blaming others for my health woes, and researching all views possible before making up my mind on any health issue. While I do enjoy reading Mercola, he is not my sole source of information either. But I have found that much of his advice works for my family - not everything - but much of it. Cutting most sugar out of our diet and limiting the grains has resulted in children who are sick half to as third as long as our friends and family - plus they are usually the last ones to fall ill. Vannan's asthma has settled to somewhat minor blips (as long as she stays away from cats) as opposed to 1 - 3 major episodes a year that required medical intervention - though thankfully not hospitalization.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...