Monday, February 9, 2009

Making Soap

I make my own laundry soap - and I've been doing it for about 2 years.

Never seem to get the same results twice - which slightly irritates some people. But I don't care - I USUALLY like the results anyway.


One thing I've learned it that the DISTILLED WATER is important.




To that I add some kind of soap base - 1/3 bar of deoderant/antibacterial soap, or LOC, or Dr. Bonners.... whatever I have on hand.
1 Cup Borax
1 Cup Washing Soda
1/4 cup Tri-Zyme
1/4 Cup Lysol Cleaner (germ killer)
and usually I add drops of Eucalyptus or Peppermint essential oils.

Sometimes I remember to add glycerin to make it gel better.

And I store it in the same pot that I mix it in - on top of the washing machine.

Cost is approx 3 - 5 cents a load - adding the cost of the extras in there.




This time I kept putting it off and putting it off - waiting for Karen to bring HER pan so I could make a double batch.
I couldn't wait any longer.

So I put the water on to heat - and dumped in some small dried up bars that I found when making the soaps for Christmas. It was a bit more than 1/3 bar. But between a cold and feeling rather sick to my stomach - I really didn't care.

Then I forgot I was making it.

I ended up turning it off late at night and going to bed, promising to finish it the next day.

And when Kendra pulled the lid off the next morning - look at what we found!



We turned the heat on low, stired in the rest of the ingredients, and called it done. It's WEIRD looking, kinda like playing in raw egg whites, or slightly cooked ones?

But it's kind of fun to use.

Wonder if I'll ever be able to duplicate it?
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...