Wednesday, October 14, 2009

LaRue is HERE

Just a short update - I'll see about a full birth story later ... although knowing me, this will be enough for most.

The highlights were

At my baby appointment yesterday, my blood pressure was high plus a few other small problems that made us question and then send me to the hospital for evaluation.  They admitted me and by evening the plan was to attempt to start labor by breaking her water - and if that failed, then C- section as a last resort.

I didn't get much sleep, and the first attempt to break her water failed at 7:00ish in the morning.  An hour or so later, we tried again with success.  Since I was very tired and it would take a few hours to get labor started, they gave me a very low dose of pain meds and I was OUT pretty much for the next 3 hours.

Shortly after noon, contractions went from very strong and far apart, to nearly constant and maximum strength on their charts.  Back labor is not fun - and I always have back labor.  The nurses and nurse midwife were very patient with me and enouraging. 

I'm not really sure how they did it - but LaRue was born at 2:19.  I got to hold her immediately ... well, they did suction her and get her to cry first.  Kendra and Vannan were at the birth.  Tim was a huge help during labor.  I'm afraid that I wasn't very quiet during those 2 or so hours.  But I've recovered quickly and I'm doing very well.  

LaRue has some bruising on her face from the birth, but passed her pediatric check up with flying colors.  We think we'll keep her (WINK).   Joel got to sing Happy Birthday to her.  About 5pm, half of town (or felt like it) came by to see LaRue.

Just now, Tim has her curled up beside him on the fold out bed and they are both asleep.  So sweet.

In all, I think it was a wonderful birth - not what I wanted, but as close as we could come under the circumstances.   And we were very impressed with the nurses and the midwife team and the doctor here that works with them.  So very different from when Joel was born and there was no choice but a C-Section.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...