Thursday, April 5, 2012

Preparing for NEXT school year.

Each year in March, April, and a tiny bit of May, many of the school curriculum places will sell their curriculum at a discount.  For instance, Alpha Omega offers 20% off in April and 10% off in May - and has for years and years.  This usually coincides with tax refunds, so we have a small budget to use.  I also try to get things that are reusable.


So each year in March, I sit down and try to plan what I need to buy for each year.


This year is still in flux ...  I'm hoping we can afford the tiny bit I've actually written down.  Anyone who feels led to help us out ... we won't deny you the blessing.


I've marked our NEEDS in RED and the WISHES in Green.


Everything we need can be ordered from one of TWO places.
Rod and Staff is 10% off for another 2 weeks.
AOP is 20% off for April.






LA RUE




LaRue will be 3 come fall.  So hard to believe that she will be THAT big!  But already she is learning colors, counts to 5, can half say her ABCs, knows half of her shapes, and knows over 3 dozen songs, not to mention some 3 - 5 dozen ASL sign language words.


I usually work with my kids 2 or 3 days a week at this age, for a couple of hours each time.


I used Horizon Preschool with Joel and we LOVED it.  So all LaRue would need is the first workbook.




So I NEED to buy this one for LaRue


http://www.aophomeschooling.com/product/prs011/
Retail Price: 
$28.95
 
Sale Price: $23.16 
You Save: $5.79






I could WISH for the Rod and Staff books as well, as they were a nice addition for days that we didn't do the formal Horizon curriculum and were not overly hard.




This set includes:
About Three$2.35
Bigger Steps$2.35
Color, Count, and Cut$2.35
Doing My Best$2.35
4 items (set discount: 4%)-$0.40

$9.00

Otherwise we play games and watch videos, as well as arts and crafts.  Three is a really easy age.  But because the older ones have books, the books make the younger ones feel extra smart.



JOEL

Joel will be going into SECOND grade.  Another hard to believe item.

I will be starting him with my "Plants Grown Up" curriculum and memory for Bible.  I already own this book, and look forward to using it with him over the next 10 years.

Rod and Staff's Phonics and Reader books use Bible stories to learn to read.  So I'll be using this curriculum as well.  I was able to pick up a set of the hard back books and teacher books on Ebay right after Joel was born, so all I really need is the consumable workbooks to go with them.

There are 5 Reading workbooks and 5 Phonics workbooks that go along with the 5 Readers.  Buying those is a NEED.  Each of the books will run an average of $4 - $5 or so each.
For a few more weeks, there is a 10% off sale.

The 5 Reader Workbooks





And 3 Phonics Workbooks





I haven't decided about Math ... he's halfway through the second grade books.  And I already have the 3rd grade Math for Rod and Staff as it is hard back books.  I would like to find a second grade/ 3rd grade Math Blaster (or similar) program for him to play for a few months though before pushing him on into 3rd grade to solidify his arithmetic.


Joel seems to be taking to English easily.  I might start him on it later in the year.  I own that hard back book set as well, so all I would NEED is the test booklet.



Spelling ...

None of my kids have been good spellers.  But Joel may have a flair for it.

I have several choices, as I have the answer keys for many spelling curriculums from trying different ones over the years.





Option 5:  Skip it until 3rd grade.

I'm leaning toward the skip it since we really need to keep our order as tiny as possible.



I already have Penmanship books.



History and Science ...

I've been getting books and videos from the library and reading to Joel.  Sometimes the girls include him in something they are studying.    I don't really intend to do much formally until 3rd grade.

But I WISH I could do this with him - to help familiarize him better with the state of Texas.





VANNAN

Will be in 9th grade next year.  She has dylexia, so has struggled in elementary.  She's finally overcoming many struggles via the impromptu therapy she gets while volunteering at Windridge.   Plus she has been reading books on how to help herself, and is applying their advice.  


Each year, when I finish mapping out the school year, the last thing I do is put a "next year idea/plan" into the book. - then if I need to add / change or edit it during the year, I can.  And I know where to start when buying books the next Spring.

So here is what is down for Vannan.

VANNAN  ....   9th Grade:


PC / Memory :  A Trusting Woman p. 455
History – The 17 - 18th Century – American Revolution – New Ideas – Civil Wars - Revolutions
Science – Apologia   Exploring Creation with Pysical Science
Math – SOS  Consumer Math  OR   Bob Jones Geometry   OR  ?????
English – Start at Chapter 6  in 7th grade book .- FINISH .....  Then start the 8th grade book.
Reading – 7th Rod and Staff :
Spelling – 7th Rod and Staff

Bible – FAR

US States – Start with   INDIANA  and keep going in order of Statehood same as this year.




As it looks ... I only need to make ONE change for next year.

Vannan will remain in SOS Algebra 1.  She is steadily progressing, but sometimes redoes a lesson 3 or 4 times before she is confident to move on.  This is fine for me.  It's the way SHE learns.


I am considering finding a New Testament Survey curriculum of some kind for Vannan.  


She also needs the 7th Grade English Worksheets.  Which it appears I forgot to order last year (and she's starting this book TODAY!)

under $3.

As well as need the 8th Grade English worksheets and Tests  $5 for both




As well as the 7th Grade READING Worksheets






Kendra


Will be finishing 11th grade ... and MAYBE start 12th?  I don't know.  She's only got a few 10th grade items to finish.  She has ever been a self learner - and often will absorb a subject within a few weeks.  I learned a long time ago, that tests were nearly futile for her.

Right now she's busy dancing to her own drum ... and wants to be an author, knit, crochet, learn herbs, and other such things.

School is sometimes difficult for a free thinker with a 132 IQ.  (ball park figure.  She usually tests out between 129 - 146 - with an average of 132.)

So if she is completely uninterested in a subject, she ignores it.  If she loves the subject, she will absorb until there is nothing left to learn.  She makes an excellent unschooler.

BUT....


Kendra 11th Grade


PC and Memory – Polished Cornerstones – Starts at p. 331 – Hospitable Woman
History – Renaissance, Reformation, Exploration, Middle East, Colonization – 15th and 16th Century
Science – Chemistry
Science – Physical Science
Math – Algebra 2
English – Continue in your Second  HSEnglish book
Bible – Far Above Rubies
US States – Start with Virginia / New York and keep going in order of Statehood same as this year.


And this is her proposed 2 year plan...



HOW TO FINISH  HS– THROUGH 12th GRADE
 
 1.  Cover ALL topics in Polished Cornerstones
                Choose 10 – 20 activities per subject
                memorize and research every verse per subject

We are well over 2/3 of the way through this book.  It is a long term book - Polished Cornerstones from Doorposts.
2. Far Above Rubies
                Cover all topics – choosing at least a quarter of what is offered – Your choice

This one helps her fill in holes and gives her material to stretch through from other self pace/ self taught subjects.  She's completed over half of the units already.


4.  Math –
                Alg  2  (using ALEKS - she has one month of time left to get it finished.)
                Consumer Math or Personal Finance or Accounting   (Using SOS - she is almost finished with this unit)
         
6.  English – Books 1 and 2 of the Rod and Staff 9th and 10th grade set
            Make an English Handbook.
 (Just started the second book - this is a DEEP curriculum!  She loves it and should be through the book before the end of next year.)
8.  History – Cover history through the Modern Age  -  use the All Through the Ages recommended reading AND the Far Above Rubies
 This is probably her BIGGEST slow point - she LOVES history, and isn't happy moving on to the next subject or time.  She reads books on history like they are candy!
9.  Science – Biology, Chemistry, and Physics  Apologia
 We had been trying to wing this one... but were not getting where we needed to go.  I found the 1st Edition Apologia on sale, and we pinched pennies and got some help, and were able to buy all 5 of the upper grade books ... except for the Health one.
10.   HSHealth
 I think she only has one or two units left in this one.
11.  Texas State History
 This is boring to her.  But I think she is finally down to just one or two units left.
12.  All available books on assigned Reading List
 Her Assigned Reading list is from Science suggestions, History (All Through the Ages), Classics, Bible, etc.  This is her favorite!  
13.  Civics (Government)
 She'll be reading the books from Tim and mine's College Government class.
14.  World Geography
 I still need to decide how to do this one.... or maybe I'll just skip it.
16.  Study of US. States and History
This is the High School version of what I want to get for Joel - except it covers all 50 states.  We are to Indiana.  The girls really have enjoyed it.

17.  American Literature  or    British Literature.

I have an American Literature curriculum from high school.  And we have a British Literature text book from somewhere.  I'm just going to have her read one or both of them.

 
 The end results being .... I really don't NEED to buy any curriculum for Kendra this year.


I don't think the whole NEEDs will be over $100.  Not bad.  
Any help purchasing (or maybe you have what we need and can give it to us?) will be welcome.

Any suggestions or ideas are welcome - and will be considered.
 




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...