Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Family Update: Tragic Death

Having someone you love die .... is tragic.   Having someone die a tragic death needlessly ... is heartbreaking.  

But today, we had a death that was violently tragic and needless.  We are numb.

Uncle Roy called just about the time I saw my computer a few hours ago.  But even had I seen the news reports first, it would only have slightly prepared us for the news that I was hearing.

http://www.kltv.com/story/24073112/one-employee-dead-one-in-critical-condition-three-others-injured-in-good-shepherd-stabbing

http://www.kltv.com/story/24073112/witnesses-man-was-running-with-hunting-knife-screaming-youre-not-going-to-kill-my-mother

My cousin was the one that had died.  Not a very close cousin - my grandmother's niece.   She's 10 - 12 years older than I am, I think.  She was one of the older ones in the teen group when I was old enough to remember going to family reunions.  She is one of the few that I can easily picture throughout my growing up years.

She got married when I was 12.  And I was one of the two girls who lit the candles in the church for the wedding.   Later, her 6 year old daughter was my flower girl.

I have many memories ... and none of them are bad.  She was a very pleasant and giving person.  Nursing suited her very well.

My mom has/had a ton of family that grew up and lived in the local area here - most of the family is within a few hours drive.

But to find out that a cousin was stabbed by an angry man - in the heart - and is now dead.   I'm numb.  What can you say?   I know she will be missed just as much as my mom has been missed.   At least I can say that my mom had hidden how sick she was feeling .... but this .... there are just no words.

Vannan says something bad always happens in the spring and at Thanksgiving.

She remembers well a Tuesday before Thanksgiving 4 years ago when we were in a horrible accident, not even 1/2 a mile from our home.  Lawyers still have not resolved that - so it is fresh on our minds with court days looming ahead.

That same week, another cousin lost 2 of her grandchildren when they drowned in a nearby pond.

But we do have hope - hope in Christ and His salvation.   Cousin Gail was quite active in her church and professed salvation.  I have hope to see her and my mom again in heaven.

For those of us left behind ... there will be tears.  Many tears.  I saw her just a few weeks ago at my uncle's wedding reception.

So ... that is the big news of the day.  You can keep up with the story here...

http://www.kltv.com/category/161917/kltv-live-stream

They are suppose to release a statement at 4pm today.


Much love goes out to those who were closest to her.  I know one or two do read this blog occasionally.  I know how much my heart aches ... and we were not close.   But I loved her dearly, and I will miss her.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...