Friday, May 8, 2009

Random Thoughts

Before I forget, I was reading another blog and they pointed out a geneology website that sounded interesting - especially since the girls are suppose to work on their geneologies this summer. It was called Geni.com. So I signed up. And got this message...

Geni Requires Flash & Javascript!
We've built a brand new way to view your family tree. Unfortunately, it seems that you don't have Flash and Javascript installed or enabled, which means you won't be able to see your family tree.
Please install Flash and make sure your browser has JavaScript enabled. If you like, you can try viewing the site anyway.

But I can't run any of that on this computer. Hmmm..... I was showing Tim why I was so frustrated trying to work on the internet ... that little issue above along with problems with Netzero, disappearing dll files, pages that time out too quickly, some problems are because of our dial-up, but most are my computer memory and processor. After a few minutes, he said, "Maybe a better computer is what you need."

I can't believe how much computers have changed in only 5 years. It took 12 years for my first computer to become completely obsolete.

Well, if anyone else wants to try out Geni.com, let me know how it goes. I saw it connects to facebook too.

It has been a LONG week. I'm beginning to wonder if I ever have any other kinds anymore. It's been interesting to have Tim home - normal but strange. The kids were just settling into a new routine with earlier bedtimes and stuff. But how quickly they reverted to staying up later and I've not been able to get out of bed before 8:30 all week - and that was a huge struggle. And it's been harder to get the girls out of bed. I just let Joel sleep, he is usually up by breakfast anyway, and has given up naps.

Tim has 2 new job nibbles. That's about all I know.

I'm now nearly 19 weeks along. The baby is moving (or I'm feeling it) more now. Usually I'm more aware of the baby far sooner than this ... I don't know if the baby is sitting differently or just quieter than the others were. We moved up the next midwife appointment to this Tuesday. Pray for my blood pressure. We are still trying to get the 12 week blood work completed and plan to schedule a sonagram ... we are trying to take advantage of the insurance while we have it. We did pay for it. I told Tim he should try to use the dental one too while we had it, for him and maybe for Vannan to get her 2 baby molars pulled that are wedged between permanent teeth and won't come out. I don't know what our co-pay would be or if we can work it all in by the end of May though. Maybe we can get me some reading glasses too. It's hard to be a reader when you can't see enough to read.

Kendra has been cruising right along this week. She has almost finished her Spelling book - just has to work on a few words to get them off of her list. Right now, she in only 2 months behind in most subjects, and only HomeEc, Polished Cornerstones, and English are WAY behind. She needs to find somebody to sit down with her for a day or two and help her finish her sewing unit. Everybody is so busy, and I don't have room to really get ours out and BOTH of us sit down at it ... not that I'm a very good sewer either.

Vannan has been cruising along. I'm hoping that she is doing alright. Mom has been helping me grade her work - some of the answer keys I can't see well enough to grade anything! Today, she is treating Joel (with Tim) to an afternoon at Kid Station. She got free tickets to go last year at the library reading club. I hope they have fun! The house is SO QUIET.

We are again without electricity in the outlets of the livingroom and total out in the Master bedroom and bathroom. The kids LOVED taking baths by candle light last night.

Tim is working on the driveway - it's water bogged because the road drain ditches are not draining anymore. The girls are working hard on their little garden. It's growing nicely. I'll post some more pictures later. If I can keep this connection (a good one for a change) then maybe I'll catch up on the backlog of pictures!

We are also giving much thanks to God for helping us find the 3 lost library books! Before they had to be turned in for good - we had a week left on 2 of them - they've been missing for nearly 4 weeks! One was found wedged into the foot of Joel's bed, and the other 2 were on his bookshelf. Whew.

Well, I did hear from at least 4 people who do read my blog. So, I'm feeling much less depressed. Thanks for the encouragement.

1 comment:

  1. I use Geni.com and love it. I had tried Facebook's Family Tree, (Don't, it's horrible!) and sent a question about it to several relatives on Facebook. My aunt replied that I should try Geni.com, and several family members had already started a tree there. I also have dialup, and while certain pages are slow to load, all of Geni works for me.

    One of my favorite features is the ability to post photo albums to share with extended family.
    When I have photos to upload, I put them on my jump drive (I can't believe how cheap those are getting!) and take it to the library. They have public computers with high-speed Internet and USB ports on the front you can use. Or I take it the next time I visit a friend or family member with a high-speed connection.

    I had so many problems with Windows, I switched to Mac. Every PC I ever owned crashed at least once a day. My Mac goes months between crashes. And Apple actually supports their old software and hardware, unlike Micro$oft. My computer was made in 2001, and it can still run the latest version of any browser with all the plugins. It doesn't impress anyone, but it does everything I need it to do, and continues working without me continuing to give people money or becoming a rocket scientist.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...