Tuesday, June 21, 2011

A Birthday Surprise and other Family News

Yesterday I received something I've been wanting for several years ...

And I'm already loving it!

Vannan has been able to read her assigned book with it - without my having to have the library ILL it.  And it was FREE on the Kindle.

We are enjoying the text to speech - it almost sounds like a normal person talking.

While I do most of my shopping online - as soon as I click that I want something, it drops onto the Kindle without a second thought.

I'm still exploring the mailing feature and downloading to my computer.  But I've had it less than 24 hours.  First on my agenda is getting it a protective case ... somehow a cardboard box doesn't seem overly portable.

BUT today I got this in the mail ....
and I'm looking forward to using it with the girls US History and Geography course.

What an awesome addition to our school shelves!

Thanks cousin Terri!








So, here are the covers that I am looking at getting ....  if you have any of these, I would welcome advice or opinions on how what you have is working for you.



1.   There are a variety of these ..... and I like the map / yellow style, but if I get this one, then I would not have it protected while I am reading - only while I am carrying it around.

Also ...

My sister has offered to make it a little carry bag to slip it inside and zip it closed.  But I also want something to protect it with all the little nieces and nephews running around - I'm hoping having it will encourage me to get outside and read while watching the younger two play outside!





2..   A bundle package .. and it comes in both yellow and purple.

I think I'm leaning toward this one ... in purple.  Because the carry case is a purple as well - and not black like most of the other colors.

I'm also concerned that the black kindle would grey out the bright yellow.








3.  A Hard cover case.   There was mention of some problems with glare.  But this would likely protect it from most damage / accidents around here.

I think I would stick with Purple.







4.  I also really like the colors and Happy factor on this one.  I also like that the kindle slides into a pocket rather than elastic bands ... but there is nothing to keep it from sliding back out again.

And there are other patterns that I like better ... maybe stripes?  Maybe more yellow?  Maybe somebody could take me fabric shopping?  (Just kidding!)





So, I've been on cloud nine for a few days.  My air conditioner WORKS!  for the money it cost to run it, our house should have been cooler all along

What was wrong???

Wrong size blower fan!  It was working, why go through all the work to pull it all apart to check it?  But with it dead ... the repair man did and was surprised that it was nearly half the power that should have been inside!  Wow!

And my uncle helped us rescue a dozen or so of Joel's pencils (along with crayons and small toys) out of the "stuck" air vent.  (He didn't even cringe when he stuck down his hand!  I'm utterly terrified that something will crawl over my fingers.  ::::shudder::::)  Thank You Uncle Tommy!

AND the heat in the house caused a water leak under Vannan's sink.  Our best friend, Steve, came up and found it was just that the tape stuff under the knob connection had deteriorated and within a few minutes, it was fixed and our water back on!  THANK YOU Steve!

So, June seems to have turned for the good.  Stove is still not working - where IS the fuse on a glass top stove?  Neither the burners nor the oven will make heat after our big lightening storm that left us without electricity for almost 4 hours (we are guessing a major pole down or blew one of the transformers on the street - because the truck was here within minutes after the storm, and they are normally quite fast.)

And, of course, we are going to have to pay for the repairs to the AC.  But maybe it will all work out in money saved not running the AC?

The best news would be a job for Tim ... or the rapture.

And one more thing ... keep us in your prayers as the case from our car accident is finalized.  I don't know why I'm staying so freaked out over it it.

Please also keep my Aunt Viv in your prayers.  Family has mostly all gone home after the memorial service for Grandma, and she's pretty much all alone up there.  She and Grandma have lived together for over a decade ... and I know how lost we felt after Moma died.  We know Grandma is in heaven where she longed to be - and we do not wish her back.  But we sure do miss her.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...